Thursday, April 12, 2007

On The Nightstand


I have one of those jobs that is so completely meaningless that it makes me feel faint when I try to think about it. So I try not to. I have to lose myself in some reading.

I'm about 40 pages into Your Money Or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship With Money And Achieving Financial Independence by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. Any book that is dedicated to "all of the people who are actively engaged in leaving our planet in better shape than they found it" gets high marks from the get-go. I'm really enjoying it and beginning to do some serious re-evaluating of my job situation.

At the library today I picked up America's Cheapest Family, by Steve and Annette Economides. (Economides? I think I dropped that class in college). If you haven't heard their story, check it out here. A family of seven that gets by on less than $35,000 a year. And they have no debt.

So, while Bianca is in the Midwest for a few days, I think I'll hit the books.

Speaking of, I'm curious: what's your favorite book? Mine is The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. It replaced my previous favorite, Blood Meridian, also by Mr. McCarthy. Read The Road in two sittings the day it came out. Bracing, spare and heart-wrenching. I highly recommend it. Oh, and somebody named Oprah likes it too.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved The Road. I thought it was the best book of 2006 and love recommending it to unsuspecting little old ladies (I'm a librarian.) Just finished America's Cheapest Family and thought most of it was common sense -- so why don't I do it? However, I couldn't get into Your Money or Your Life.

Basil Bizarro said...

Librarians ROCK.

Anonymous said...

my favorite book (so far) is Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. when i finished reading it, i wanted to start over and immediately read it again!

A GROWN AZZED WOMAN said...

You are hilarious and pleasure to read, lol

A GROWN AZZED WOMAN said...

My favorite books is "Of Water and Spirit" by Malidoma some

Anonymous said...

"In Harm's Way: The sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the extraordinary story of its survivors" by Doug Stanton (they get eaten by sharks - true story). "Your Money or Your Life" is also on my shelf. Great book! I'm artsy fartsy hippie, and not at all military, but I love that WWII book. I don't think WWII counts as 'military', though, more like 'the whole world's gone mad'.

Basil Bizarro said...

eb-

That's crazy that you've mentioned that - I'm fascinated by the Indianapolis story and have read two books on the subject, including the one you mentioned. Just an amazing story.

KMK said...

I can highly recommend Shadow of the Wind, but only if you're a bibliophile.

Basil Bizarro said...

I've ordered "Shadow of the Wind" from the library. I do suffer from bibliophilia.