Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I Wants My Money!


Today I channeled Bizarro World. I needed all of its power.

I went in and asked for a raise.

For the last four months I've been obsessed with getting paid more. I would replay the raise-asking scenario in my mind over and over, and I won't lie to you, sometimes in my mental movie my boss' office ended up slathered in my blood. Some fantasies involved settling it with a joust, others with us wearing trucker hats and sleeveless jean shirts and lots of cock rock and sweaty arm wrestling like in Stallone's 1987 film "Over the Top." Most of the time it was me grabbing a pen from the cup on his desk and lunging, just a full-on, scrambling, paper-scattering lunge.

Instead, I took a deep breath, gathered my Bizarro World confidence about me, and laid out why I thought I deserved a significant raise and a reduction in the amount of days I worked. I started out higher than I normally would have, and ended up well above what I would have been happy with. Plus I shaved a day off my work week. It was a win, both for me and for my debt reduction.

Pre-Bizarro World I would never in a million years have done that. I did the opposite, and it worked. Perhaps it was my eyes constantly shifting to the cup full of pens that did it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!! on your raise and welcome back I have missed you and Bianca.

Katy said...

good for you! i asked for more money last summer and felt all sheepish and weird and shy about it. but it worked! it's amazing what you get when you ask for it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you Basil!