Monday, January 22, 2007

Mom, can I have some money?


Sorry, it's been a week since I last posted and I have no excuse. This week I had a couple of unexpected expenses and one unexpected reprieve from an expense. My oldest son bought his books for college which amounted to $502 and he called me to say that he only had $4 left in his checking account. So, of course, Mom pulled through and transfered $150 into his account. Luckily my children are pretty tight-fisted with their money and since he lives in a dorm with meals provided, he can probably make that $150 last the whole semester. He usually waits until Mom visits to say he needs things like notebooks and shampoo.
I also have another unexpected expense -- I lost a (hard) contact while hiking yesterday. There were high winds and lots of dust. I took it out and while trying to clean it, lost it on a rocky path. I think my insurance through work will cover some of it, but I'm sure there's a deductible or co-pay of some sort. Meanwhile, I'm wearing dorky glasses and feel like I'm back in the eighth grade.
The good news is that my 16-year-old does not have to have car insurance until he gets his license. As long as he only has his permit, State Farm won't add him to my insurance....hmmmm.....I wonder how long he can drive on that....

No comments: