Monday, February 19, 2007

The Library: It's Not Just For Photocopying And Sleeping Anymore


Okay, you're doing good: you've made a budget, have stopped pissing away your nickels and dimes on overpriced lattes and getting hair extensions. You've gotten serious. You may begin to panic, saying to yourself, "I'm bored. Spending money gave me something to do. What do I do? WHAT DO I DO?" It's okay. Settle down. There are fantastic free things out there. One of them is easy: the library.

Now, if you haven't been to a library lately, there are some new developments afoot. Most libraries now have incredible online catalogs that allow you to log on from the comfort of your own home, order books, and in some cases the next day, you can pick them up at the library. And not just books - magazines, DVD's, audio books, CD's, etc. No longer can you use the excuse that the last new book your library got in was "Ordinary People" and the building smells like grandparents. These catalogs work off your entire system, so just about any materials in the system are eligible for you to check out. It's all delivered right to your neighborhood library for pick up. I've tried my best to find something they don't carry, and find it nearly impossible.

I don't know what I would have done without this. I've read so many good books and watched so many great DVD's it's unbelievable. In terms of finding great music alone utilizing my library to the fullest has been, honestly, one of the best decisions I've made during my debt struggle.

And best of all, it's free.

And if you pick up stuff at my library, one of the librarians looks like Scarlett Johansson. Which is a bonus. Also free. Not her, she's not free, just looking at her is.

No comments: